Welcome to my happy place.

Hi,

Welcome to my blog. Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope that you will find some inspiration for your projects as I have from many lovely people. This is just a little space for me to share some of my cards, scrap book pages and maybe even some of my embroidery and quilting projects.

Enjoy and stop back often.

Sharon



Monday 18 October 2021

Week 16 - Heart of Christmas

 


Welcome to Week 16 of Heart of Christmas. Can you believe we are now only 68 day away from Christmas day! EEK! No don't panic because if you have been following along with the Heart of Christmas for the last 16 weeks you have got a lovely stash of Christmas cards ready to go and you will be able to send them out and be happy that you have ticked that very special task off your to do list for Christmas. Plus all that joy you have spread with your homemade cards.

This week I thought I would CASE a card from the July-December Mini catalogue and get out my Wise Men and make a shaker card. I haven't really ever made one but I have seen many tips and I thought well I am just going for it!

Rhapsody in Craft, Great Tidings, Great Tidings Bundle, Wise Men Tidings Dies, Sequins For Everything, Clear Envelopes, Gold Metallic Specialty Paper, Beauty of the Earth DSP, Stampin' Up, #heartofchristmas, Christmas Card, Shaker Cards,

You will find this card on page 15 of the mini catalogue and as I hadn't used the frame die yet I wanted to use it and thought well this was the perfect opportunity to try it.

To make this card I needed to work on the background of my window cut out first.


I am not sure if you can tell but I have used some night of navy with my blending brushes on the left panel to make it a little darker. The paper is from the Beauty of the Earth DSP and making it a little darker means the Wise Men are walking through twilight rather than daylight or pitch black.

Rhapsody in Craft, Great Tidings, Great Tidings Bundle, Wise Men Tidings Dies, Sequins For Everything, Clear Envelopes, Gold Metallic Specialty Paper, Beauty of the Earth DSP, Stampin' Up, #heartofchristmas, Christmas Card, Shaker Cards
Now for the front of the card I have used the gorgeous Gold Metallic paper that comes in the 6x6 pack with the Rose Gold it is just stunning and I cut it down to a card front size and used a strip that I had left over to decorate the inside of the card. Using the dies I cut out the frame. Then I used the Clear 14.6 x 11.1 cm Envelopes and adhered it to the back of the gold layer. I did have to fold the edges in a little and adhere them down but not too much and I left the opening at the bottom so I could fold it over more to keep the sequins from the Sequins for everything pack up in the area I wanted. 

Now another tip apart from using an envelope for your sequins. Do not shake it with the envelope still open if you want to see if you have enough in there because you will need to put more in there as they will go flying out!
 

Rhapsody in Craft, Great Tidings, Great Tidings Bundle, Wise Men Tidings Dies, Sequins For Everything, Clear Envelopes, Gold Metallic Specialty Paper, Beauty of the Earth DSP, Stampin' Up, #heartofchristmas, Christmas Card, Shaker Cards
Once all sealed I adhered it to the Beauty of the Early layer with dimensionals. I would have used the foam adhesive strips that I have but they like the sequins decided to fly around my craft room and I couldn't place my hand on them. Always the way when you want to use something! Must be time for a tidy of the craft room (Note to self!)

Rhapsody in Craft, Great Tidings, Great Tidings Bundle, Wise Men Tidings Dies, Sequins For Everything, Clear Envelopes, Gold Metallic Specialty Paper, Beauty of the Earth DSP, Stampin' Up, #heartofchristmas, Christmas Card, Shaker Cards

I have layered everything on a card base of Night of Navy which is what I have used to stamp the sentiment. The Wise Men are stamped in Basic Grey and then I have take out my trusty Stampin' Blends and coloured them in. Now they are not the same as in the July-Dec Mini but that is ok you can colour them how ever you like and then I cut them out using the Wise Men Tiding Dies and popped them on the front of my card along with a couple more sequins which I managed to wrangle.

Well if you need help with your sequins wrangling just let me know at any time by hitting the contact button.


Now is the time to head to the next very creative person on our Heart of Christmas journey for week 16, just hit the next blog button and you will be taken to Rosa Leyden I love her work and can't wait to see what she has created for us this week, last week it was gorgeous Whimsical Christmas trees and snow flakes!
 

If at any time the next blog button doesn't work just head to this week's host my dear friend Tina Gillespie and on her blog you will find the list of all those participating this week: Tina's Blog

Thank you for spending some Christmas crafty time with me today, take care,



9 comments:

Tina said...

Your card is wonderful, but I did have to laugh about the sequins going flying! I thought that it was only me who did things like that LOL!! The shaker looks fantastic, worth picking up all those fiddly little sequins.

Kate Morgan said...

Oh wow, what an amazing shaker card, Sharon. I love all the gold around those three wise men. Shaker cards can be challenging, but you've done a great job, bravo!

Rachel Woollard said...

Very elegant card Sharon, I love the colours you’ve used with the gold card front

CHRISTINE BLAIN said...

Your story about shaking the card a little prematurely made me laugh, Sharon. I can only imagine where you will find pesky stray sequins when you do clean up your craft room! Great idea, to add some ink to that lovely "sky" paper, to give the impression of twilight sky. All the gold, and rich jewel tones, on your card gives it a very sumptuous look!

Claire said...

Love how you keep it real. Had a LOL about the flying sequins. Usually me! I LOVE this week's card Sharon. It looks so rich in jewel colours. Using the metallic specialty paper for the card front was a perfect choice.

Cathy Proctor said...

Sharon, what a sparkly festive card! Thanks for the laugh about the sequins - I did exactly the same thing with my cloche bell shaker card the other week so I feel your pain!

Rosa Leyden said...

Beautiful card Sharon and love the use of DSP and blending ink for the twilight sky. I’ve yet to make a shaker card so thanks for the sequin tip!

Michele Taylor said...

Fun fold expert and now shaker cards and sequin wrangler. :) Seriously Sharon your card is lovely. This set is perfect for a shaker card. Trouble is, I'm not sure I would want to give it away.

Carussell Crafts said...

Oh Sharon, I did have a giggle at your story about the sequins. But your card is so beautiful and well worth the effort of sparring with those little sparkly things.

Colour Creations Blog Hop - Week 44 - Real Red - Tiger Lilly

  Welcome to week 44 of the 2023-24 Colour Creations Blog hop. This week we are championing the colour Real Red! This week I have chosen to ...