Welcome to my happy place.

Hi,

Welcome to my blog. Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope that you will find some inspiration for your projects as I have from many lovely people. This is just a little space for me to share some of my cards, scrap book pages and maybe even some of my embroidery and quilting projects.

Enjoy and stop back often.

Sharon



Thursday 10 December 2020

AWHT - Creative Showcase - December 2020 - Theme: "All Things Summer"


What does summer mean to you? That is our theme this month for the Art with Heart Creative Showcase. Well my husband and I have been doing a bit of laughing at a Facebook group called "We Grew Up in Australia in the '70's & '80's" and all the things that have been popping up on that group, such as Get Smart's Cone of Silence and then we would turn to each other and say "You know what was better than the Cone of Silence?" "The Portable Cone of Silence". Of course as we both said it at the same time we were cracking up. Silly things like that and what we got to order if our school had special lunch orders. So for my card today I have decided to reminisce about fishing as a family!

Rhapsody in craft, Blending Brushes, Birthday Card, Male Cards, Male Birthday Card, By The Dock, Budding Blooms Dies, Faux Suede Trim, Braided linen trim,  AWHT Creative Showcase, 2020-21 Annual Cataloge, Stampin' up! stampinup

My Dad worked night's delivering milk and then on the weekends when the tide was just right we would go down the River Tamar to Beauty Point and all 6 of us would get on the little boat we had and try to catch just enough flat head and maybe some cocky salmon if we were lucky for a really good feed!

I have made a birthday card for you as today is my Eldest Brother's birthday and he still goes fishing and camping as much as he can when he isn't working and I thought he would love this card.
Rhapsody in craft, Blending Brushes, Birthday Card, Male Cards, Male Birthday Card, By The Dock, Budding Blooms Dies, Faux Suede Trim, Braided linen trim,  AWHT Creative Showcase, 2020-21 Annual Cataloge, Stampin' up! stampinup


I have made this card by using the new blending brushes that will be available in the up coming Jan-June Mini starting on January 5th. They are so lovely to work with.


Rhapsody in craft, Blending Brushes, Birthday Card, Male Cards, Male Birthday Card, By The Dock, Budding Blooms Dies, Faux Suede Trim, Braided linen trim,  AWHT Creative Showcase, 2020-21 Annual Cataloge, Stampin' up! stampinup
For this card I have used Daffodil Delight, Bumblebee and Crumb Cake for the side of the river and sandy embankment and for the water and sky I have used Balmy Blue and Seaside Spray. 

I first cut a 10cm x 14.4 cm piece of Whisper White card stock and put down a layer of Daffodil delight with a slight bend for the embankment. I then added a little bit of deeper colour just on the bottom of the card with the Bumblebee, you could also used Crushed Curry as that works well in this combination also. Then to make it look a little bit more sandy I blended a layer of crumb cake over all of the yellow. Besides we are going summer today and yellow is sun and summer! For the blue I cut out a die from the Budding Blooms dies and used it as a masking for shading some clouds in the sky and put down Seaside Spray believe it or not. Quite randomly, then I added the Balmy Blue to the middle for the water and when you blend over the sandy embankment of course you can get just that hint of green for the grasses in your stamp.


Rhapsody in craft, Blending Brushes, Birthday Card, Male Cards, Male Birthday Card, By The Dock, Budding Blooms Dies, Faux Suede Trim, Braided linen trim,  AWHT Creative Showcase, 2020-21 Annual Cataloge, Stampin' up! stampinup

I thought the By The Dock stamp set would be perfect for this card and the sentiment I was going for with my Brother's card. Plus I had had it sitting on my shelf for a long time now and hadn't used it!!!!!😱


Rhapsody in craft, Blending Brushes, Birthday Card, Male Cards, Male Birthday Card, By The Dock, Budding Blooms Dies, Faux Suede Trim, Braided linen trim,  AWHT Creative Showcase, 2020-21 Annual Cataloge, Stampin' up! stampinup

I have stamped the images in Basic Gray and they look very effective over the blended background. I just love the little fish at the back of the boat popping up and teasing! The white that you can see is the Stampin' Chalk Marker and I have just highlighted the water and a little bit of the dock and the birds to make them pop off the page. The card base is Early Espresso.

To finish off the card of course I had to have the sentiment and I have used the Happy Birthday stamp from the By The Dock stamp set and stamped it on Whisper white card and punch it out with the Label me Fancy punch and punched the slits for the ribbon with the same punch. I have also just trimmed it down so that it is not as big. The ribbon is the faux suede trim and the braided linen thread. I used the residual colour on the blending brush to colour the whisper white sentiment Daffodil delight.

I hope you have enjoyed my trip down memory lane for our Summer Theme today.

Please head over to the host of our monthly Creative Showcase, my friend, the very talented Rachel Woollard to see the list of the other team members playing along this month with the theme "All things Summer". Rachel's Blog

If you have any questions and would like to have the new Jan-June Mini in your had so you can get these fabulous blending brushes in your had as soon as possible please do not hesitate to contact me.


Thank you for spending some crafty time with me today,
take care,

6 comments:

Handstampedbyrachel said...

What a lovely family memory Sharon. My dad is a mad fisherman and we too spent many, many hours with a line in the water. Actually EVERY family holiday involved some form of fishing. Beautiful card too, I'm sure your brother will love it!

Kate Morgan said...

Wonderful Sharon, I love your story of life in Tassie. I can relate so much, also growing up in Launceston, we used to go to Bridport and as kids, loved sunset when the fisherman were bringing in the nets! Your card is so true to this amazing life.

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing a family story. Your card is a perfect representation and I am sure will be loved by your brother. Your colouring is gorgeous. xxx

Tina said...

It really is fabulous when you can make a card that is so evocative of special childhood memories. I bet your brother will love it! The colouring is fantastic - I especially love the touches of white with the chalk marker.

Cathy Proctor said...

Sharon your blending on this card is amazing but I love the way you’ve told us the story from your childhood about the fishing. What a wonderful card to make for your brother!

Michele Taylor said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely memory Sharon. I know Beauty Point well. Stephen and I love to holiday in Tassie and have enjoyed many a drive along the Tamar River. My favourite restaurant is in Launceston and Stephen loves to play golf at Barnbougle. Mmmm......might be time fo another trip.

Your card is stunning too. I love to blend with blending brushes so I did a happy dance when I saw that they had been added to the range.

Colour Creations Blog Hop - Week 50 - Tahitian Tide - Notes of Nature Birthday

  Welcome to week 50 of the Colour Creations Blog Hop this week we are looking at the colour Tahitian Tide.  Next week we will be starting o...