Welcome to my happy place.

Hi,

Welcome to my blog. Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope that you will find some inspiration for your projects as I have from many lovely people. This is just a little space for me to share some of my cards, scrap book pages and maybe even some of my embroidery and quilting projects.

Enjoy and stop back often.

Sharon



Monday 21 August 2023

Heart of Christmas - 2023 - Week 3 - Double Wonder Cards!

 



Welcome to week 3 of the Heart of Christmas for 2023. This week I am deviating away from fancy folds, I know that is not something everyone wants to hear but I thought I would revisit an oldy but a goody that resurfaced when I was going through some old videos I did during Covid. It is called the Double Wonder Cards. The idea is to cut your 12 x 12 DSP in such a way that you get lots of cards out of it! It was a class that Shannon West one of our Demonstrator Development Managers from the US did with us a few years ago and I did as a video class and I found it the other day and I thought perfect to get lots of Christmas cards started and ready!

As I had used the Walk in the Forest DSP last week for my Rusty Holden Ute card I thought I would use it again this week for my cards! I also used the Christmas Classics Stamp set which you will be able to purchase starting in September with our September- December mini.

For this Double Wonder DSP set of cards you use 2 pieces of 12 x 12 DSP on top of each other and cut in half. 


Then cut at along the 12 inch side at 3 1/2 inches, then cut the next one 4 inches and you will be left with 4 1/2 inches.
It will look something like this. See there are 2nd piece is underneath. I have moved it slightly so you can see that I have cut it at the same time.
I have started with the 4 1/2 inch section and cut it in half at so the 6 inches is now 2 x 3 inches and then each strip is cut into 1 1/2 inch strips. 
As you have 2 pieces of DSP and there are 2 patterns you can mix and match the designs. I have used for the card bases the colours that are set out in the DSP that are on the back of the A Walk in the Forest Garden Green, Cherry Cobbler, Old Olive and Pretty Peacock. These are layered on a piece of basic white 3 1/4 x 5 inches. That is the base for our first 4 cards.
Now using the 4 inch middle section cut off 3/4 inch on the bottom and then cut into 1 inch sections.
I have chosen to use a Balmy Blue card base in this set. Fold your card base in half and fold 1 1/4 inch back on the front. As Shannon is an American demonstrator the measurements are for US size cards so I have cut about half a centimeter off the base off the card so that the DSP strips are not looking like you cut them too short. For the part that is folded back I adhered them to the front but you do not have to do that.
Now the final section which is the 3 1/2 section cut 2 1/4 sections twice and then the little bit that you have over is a bonus card and you cut that in half.
Remember the strip you cut off the middle section that becomes the middle strip of these 2 card bases.

The whole idea is to cut these gorgeous DSP in such a way that you get 11 cards out of them and then you can cut the other half and get another 11 cards. Stamp and punch out a greeting and you are good to go. Let's see what greeting and punch I used.

For the first card I have used both Peace on Earth and Deck the Halls and using the 2" circle punch that you can purchase in the Online store I have also added Real Red and Garden Green Ribbon Combo under the greeting which is stamped in Basic Gray and popped up on Dimensionals.
The second set of cards I have combined the Merry and the Christmas from the Christmas Classic stamp set and used the Lasting Label punch.
I have gone back to the Peach on Earth and Deck the Halls from the Christmas Classics Stamp set for the last 2 cards.
The bonus card I have used Merry Christmas.

So what did with the other 6 x 12 DSP? I am glad you asked. I started to step up these cards. The ones I have shown you so far I would consider a beginner card of paper, ink and punch and you can make some great card. Now I thought I would step up a little bit each of the cards.

Ok I have added some layers of Vellum Basics Specialty DSP and Gold Foil and cut out the Sentiment with the Deckled Circle Dies that are going to be available in the Sept-Dec Mini Oh and how cute are the Loose Holly Gems and sequins that I have attached with mini glue dots

This card again has been layered with the Vellum and Gold and as a result I didn't have to cut of the extra half a centimeter of card in the base as you can see. Keeping with my deckled circle theme I used the deckled rectangle dies to cut out the greeting on this card.

To add a little bit of extra to this card I have cut out the greeting and a layer of gold in the Deckled Cricle Dies and the Tree from the A walk in the Forest DSP and added a holly berry from the Loose Holly Gems and sequins.

Rhapsody in craft, Christmas, #rhapsodyincrat, #heartofchristmas,#heartofchristmas2023, Joy of Noel, Joy of Noel Bundle, Double Wonder DSP Cards, Art with Heart, Christmas Cards, Cherry Cobbler, #loveitechopit

I know this is different. I went rogue on this one and went to a different stamp set and die. I went to Joy of Noel. I stamped NOEL in Cherry Cobbler and cut it out using the Joy of Noel Dies. The branches are also cut using the dies in garden green.

I hope you enjoy this very quick explanation of the double wonder cards. 

If you have any questions about how to do the Double Wonder cards and would like the template please do not hesitate to contact me.


Now is the time to head to the next person on our Heart of Christmas journey and this week you will be heading to Amie McIllroy, I can't wait to see what she has for us this week, last week she made the most gorgeous Poinsettia card, so just hit the next blog button and you will go straight there.


If for any reason you have a next blog button that sends you somewhere it shouldn't just come back here and the list of the Art With Heart team are below and you can continue your journey there or you can do your whole journey from the list below.


Thank you for spending some Christmas crafty time with me today, take care,



9 comments:

CHRISTINE BLAIN said...

Fab way to show off all the gorgeous DSPs, Sharon. I particularly love your stepped-up versions ('cos I tend to be a bit of a "more is more" kind of girl, LOL). Beautifully done.

Rachel Woollard said...

Great use of this beautiful DSP, you've made a beautiful range of Christmas cards, I especially like the stepped up cards

Wendie Waldman said...

Wow, thanks for sharing how you used all of this great DSP. Great cards.

Amie said...

Haha, it was so fun reading your post…”I went rogue…” love it! I hadn’t heard of the double wonder before, but I love it! There’s a few more pattern options for when you get stuck with the one sheet wonder, I like that.

Cathy Proctor said...

What a fabulous way to quickly build your stash of cards, Sharon. They all look beautiful with this DSP, but the stepped up card is my fave. I love that "NOEL" stamp so much!

Rosa Leyden said...

Wow Sharon what a big stash of lovely cards. Loving the use of different punches and sentiments with the DSP panels. Those loose Holly and gems are too cute.

Andrea said...

Wow oh wow Sharon - I lost count of the cards you have created for your stash - 11 plus the stepped up versions. Your cards showing off the beautiful Christmas DSPs. I love your range of labels, etc. No surprise, I also love your stepped up versions. Great cards. xxx

Michele Taylor said...

Sharon you have showcased this beautiful DSP so well. Such a clever idea as no two cards look the same. Love the different labels and greetings too. What a great way to build up your Christmas cards stash.

Kate Morgan said...

Wo, wo, wo, what the heck... so many cards this week. Thanks for sharing all the steps to these fabulous cards. This sure is a great way to get the most out of your DSP and have a huge stash of festive goodness!

Colour Creations Blog Hop - Week 1 - 2024-25 - Peach Pie

  Welcome to week 1 of the 2024-25 Colour Creations Blog Hop! How exciting it is to be in a brand nee year of Stampin' Up! with a new ca...